Melbourne Sunrise from the airport Hotel room
On leaving Australia we knew we were in for trouble the minute we got to the airport.
Given the fact that I had all the necessary paperwork, bank statements, proof of not needing a visa etc. I was still refused a ticket to board the plane, this was even after the Pacific Blue steward had confirmed my identity to New Zealand officials - she asked me if I was Indonesian - and obviously I said - no!
After waiting for almost an hour for our tickets I was allowed to leave Australia bound for New Zealand. We got a quick bite to eat before the 4 hour flight and afterwards boarded the plan. As I set about making myself comfortable, Paul desperately tried to avoid getting the bug that the woman had next to him - despite his best efforts of trying to sit as close to me as possible she managed to cough on him constantly - yuk! The day was not looking good.
That said, as we flew in over New Zealand we saw in all their glory the beaches of the west coast and then both the Tasman and the Hooker Glaciers, with Lakes Tekapo and Pukaki beyond them and Mount Cook centrally located and covered in snow. it was just spectacular.
Flying from Australia to New Zealand -
descending over the Tasman Glacier to Christchurch
On arrival at Christchurch I yet again had more trouble with immigration. As I waved my passport, and as Paul had already gone through to the other side the button was pushed for back up... Instantly there was a swarm of people as my papers were taken, my passport was swiped from my hand - Paul was told to go away and get the luggage and everybody was suddenly giving me a very wide birth.
I was escorted away from passport control and seated outside an office and left there for 15 minutes. I regained my composure about ready to cry and a man greeted me, took me to a back office and explained he needed to ask me questions. I cannot remember exactly what he asked me or what I said except that he would grant me 6 months stay and that was it, he frog marched me back through passport areas, allowed me to jump the queue and I was in. I'm not sure what will happen when I try to leave though!
Anyway, we had arranged for the camper van company to collect us from the airport - unfortunately, they forgot to pick us up - so eventually - the time was now about 5.30pm local time and we had been travelling for about 8 hours given all the hassle at both airports, the forgotten transfer and the shuttle to the airport in the morning.
We were exhausted and our tolerance had worn thin - very thin - to the point that when we arrived we were taking no prisoners, rejecting the first van and then not letting anyone fob us off.
We got a good van, 400 000 km on the clock and set off for the nearest supermarket, with a dinner destination in mind for that night.
Welcome to New Zealand!
"Welcome to New Zealand"


No comments:
Post a Comment